One of the best ways to beat stress during this lockdown is taking an hour out to focus on yourself. Pamper your skin with a homemade facial that is full of non-chemical, all-natural ingredients.
You can get yourself an easy self-made facial without worrying about shelling out some big bucks or getting an appointment at a good spa.
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how you can do facial at home!
Step 1: Cleanse
Cleansing your face is a significant part of any kind of skincare routine. It helps get rid of dirt, excess oil, and makeup, giving you a clean slate to work with and preparing your skin to be more receptive to the ingredients that you are going to nourish it with.
Use raw honey to cleanse your skin. Honey has excellent antibacterial and hydrating properties that will leave your skin feeling moisturized, soft and clear. Simply dampen your face, spread the honey over it, massage for about a minute or two and rinse it off. This suits all skin types.
- Rinse your face with lukewarm water.
- Take a small amount of honey and gently rub it in an upward circular motion onto your skin.
- Splash it off your face with cool water.
Step 2: Exfoliate
Exfoliating is another extremely essential step when it comes to facial. Exfoliating your skin helps remove all the dead skin cells that tend to clog your pores. It helps instantly brighten your face by revealing the younger and healthier layers of your skin.
For Normal Skin- Combine 1 teaspoon ground oatmeal with a teaspoon of honey and a teaspoon of olive oil.
For Oily Skin- Combine 1 teaspoon of honey with a teaspoon of water and a teaspoonful of sugar.
For Dry Skin- Combine 1 teaspoon of honey with a teaspoon of olive oil and a teaspoon of ground almonds.
- Once you’ve cleansed your face, select an exfoliator that is appropriate for your skin type.
- Take a coin-sized amount of your exfoliator and gently rub it in an upward circular motion onto your skin.
- Do this for a couple of minutes, but remember to be gentle.
- You do not want to over-scrub your face.
- Splash the exfoliator off with cool water.
Step 3: Steam
Starting with a steam is the best way to kick off your at-home facial. The steam helps relax your skin and open up your pores. This allows your skin to release all the toxins and soak up all the goodness that the facial is going to offer.
- Take a bowl of very hot water.
- Ensure to use oven mitts or a cloth while handling the bowl so that you don’t burn yourself.
- Place a towel over your head and lean over the bowl so that the towel creates a tent to hold the steam.
- Lean over the bowl to steam your face. (Do not lean too close as the vapours can be quite hot.)
- Do this procedure for 5-10 minutes.
Step 4: Face Mask
Once you’ve steamed your face, your skin is ready to take on some nutrition. Applying face masks gives your skin the boost that it needs to stay healthy and radiant. Face masks helps to keep your skin well-nourished and youthful.
For Normal / Combination Skin- 1 tablespoon honey + 1 tablespoon Yogurt.
For Oily Skin- 1 tablespoon Multani Mitti + 1 tablespoon honey.
For Dry Skin- ½ a banana (mashed) + 1 tablespoon honey.
- Pick a DIY mask suited to your skin,
- Spread the mask evenly onto your face in a thin layer.
- Avoid getting too close to your eyes or your mouth.
- After the time indicated has passed, splash the mask off with cool water.
Step 5: Tone
Now it is that time during your facial where you need to seal your pores to keep any dirt or toxins from settling in your skin. Toners help remove any residual dirt while sealing your pores. A toner helps to clear acne and visible pores and makes your skin more receptive to hydration.
Combine half a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar with a teaspoon of water and use this to tone your face. Apple cider vinegar balances the pH of your skin while closing your pores. If you don’t have apple cider vinegar, you can use lemon juice in its place.
- Take a cotton pad and use it to apply the toner evenly onto your face.
- Avoid the area around your eyes as you do this.
- The cotton pad will help not only to spread the toner but also removing residual dirt.
- Allow the toner to dry naturally.
- If you have combination skin, limit the use of the toner to your T-zone.
Pampering yourself has never been this easier. Follow the above steps to achieve glowing, flawless skin through this DIY facial!